I love Italian food. My boyfriend has Italian blood running through him so we indulge in Italian food quite often and he’s also quite the cook himself. He’s been know to whip up a mean pasta dish and loves a good antipasto. I’m blessed to have a man who shares my love and appreciation for food as much as I do, food is definitely our thing.
But enough about him, let’s talk food! So today’s recipe is a pasta dish – tortellini to be exact. I love tortellini, have I mentioned that before? I’m sure I have. For today’s recipe I used three cheese tortellini but you can use whatever variation of tortellini you can find. Whole wheat, spinach and cheese filled, it’s all good with this recipe.
Even though tortellini is the main point in this dish, it’s the sauce that steals the show. A red wine sauce with fresh minced garlic, grape tomatoes, and fresh basil. Pair this with a crisp salad and a few garlic rolls and it’s Italian night!
When it comes to food, homemade is always better. You can literally taste the effort and love put into the dish. I’ve recently become more comfortable with making my own pasta sauce and there’s no comparison with the store bought stuff. For this particular dish I wanted something a little different than a typical marinara. I wanted something fresh, rich, and savory and that’s the best way to describe this sauce.
Not only is this dish delicious and impressive, it also comes together in minutes, which makes it even better. While your water is coming to a boil for the tortellini put a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add in some olive oil and throw your garlic in. Stir it around for a few minutes until fragrant. Add in the red wine, tomato sauce, and grape tomatoes. Turn the heat up a little bit, just a little past medium so everything heats up and cooks together. Add in your crushed red pepper flakes and fresh basil. Stir everything together and bring it to a simmer. Once your tortellini is done boiling (about 6 or7 minutes) drain the pasta and add it into the sauce and toss to evenly coat. I like to chop a few more basil leaves and sprinkle it over the top for extra color and flavor. Your pasta dish is ready to serve!
Add this recipe to your weekly dinner plans, you won’t be disappointed!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 and 1/2 cups grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- a few dashes of crushed red pepper flakes
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves (chopped and divided)
- (1) 9 ounce package tortellini pasta
- Fill a saucepan about halfway full with water and place on medium - high heat to bring to a boil. Follow package instruction for boiling the tortellini. While waiting for the water to boil you can start making the sauce.
- In a medium sized skillet on medium heat, add olive oil and allow it to warm up. Peel and mince garlic then add it to the olive oil. Stir the garlic around for a minute or two until it becomes fragrant. Stirring the garlic around helps to keep it from burning. Cut your grape tomatoes in half and add them to your garlic. Stir them around to get them coated. Add in red wine and tomato sauce. Stir everything in the skillet together and turn the heat up just a little past medium to bring it to a mild boil. Stirring a few times just so the sauce doesn't stick to the bottom of the skillet.
- Once water has boiled add your tortellini pasta and allow it to cook thoroughly, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir your sauce and reduce heat to a simmer. Add a few dashes of crushed red pepper flakes and half of your chopped basil. Once tortellini is cooked, drain it and add it to the red wine sauce, folding it in so that it is evenly coated. Sprinkle remaining basil leaves over pasta. Allow pasta to cool for a few minutes and it's ready to serve.
- * For the specific recipe I used 3 cheese tortellini (Buitoni brand) but you can use any variation of tortellini you like