This blueberry oatmeal smoothie is a quick way to get some nutrients and still get that satisfied full feeling. Sweet blueberries, rolled oats, and almond extract make for one delicious smoothie, and it really does taste like blueberry oatmeal!
There are many reasons why I love smoothies: their quick and easy, only require a handful of healthy, fresh ingredients, and can be incredibly versatile.
Now that Spring is in full mode and we’re quickly approaching summer (please slow down 2015) this is a great time of year to take advantage of fresh produce. Using fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs in recipes can make all the difference and really add something special to any dish.
This leads me to discuss today’s recipe ingredients, the focal point: blueberries. Blueberries pack a sweet, tart flavor with lots of vitamins, antioxidants, and give that gorgeous blue-purple-ish color. With smoothies I like using frozen fruits because they keep the smoothie cold without having to use ice which can sometimes water down your smoothie. Feel free to use either fresh of frozen fruit in this smoothie.
Now for the “oatmeal” part of this smoothie. I used old fashioned rolled oats which gave this smoothie incredible texture. The texture of the oats blended with the bananas, blueberries, and almond milk and gave the smoothie a little bit of a chewier texture but I think it makes this feel like a heartier smoothie. I also added in a splash of pure almond extract for flavor. Do not skip this ingredient, it really compliments the blueberries and oats and makes this smoothie taste like oatmeal.
This recipe makes 2 big smoothies or 4 smaller smoother. The measurements can easily be halved if your looking for smaller portions.
Bluberry Oatmeal Smoothie
A filling smoothie made with simple, healthy ingredients that really tastes like blueberry oatmeal!
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5
- 1-2 large frozen bananas (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup regular vanilla yogurt (or Greek yogurt)
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (add more or less for preferred thickness)
- a splash of pure almond extract (about 1-2 tsp)
- In a blender, combine bananas, blueberries, rolled oats, yogurt and milk. Blend on medium or high speed for a minute or two to blend everything together, then add in almond extract and more milk for a thinner consistency if desired. Pour smoothies into glasses and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 2