These lemon squares are bright in color and flavor. Complimentary sweet and tart flavors make this the perfect dessert for summertime!
Typically I’m a chocoholic. Chocolate chip cookies, brownies, chocolate covered almonds, peanut m&ms, a thick chocolate milkshake… I just can’t control myself. When it comes to dessert or sweet treats, I always spring for anything with chocolate…
met made these bars.
I absolutely love the sweet and tangy combination in this recipe. These lemon squares start with a soft, yummy crust, a thick lemon-y filling and then garnished with powdered sugar. Luckily this recipe makes a big batch because these suckers go quick.
All of the ingredients in this recipe are simple and most of them you probably already have on hand. Flour, butter, powdered sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, lemon juice (and lemon zest) and a tiny bit of baking powder, and that’s pretty much it.
The crust itself is amazing. Flour, powdered sugar, and melted butter. It doesn’t get any easier than that. You mix all the ingredients together and then press them into the bottom of your baking dish to make a crust. I highly recommend using your hands (don’t be scared!) to press the crust into the baking dish because it’s so much quicker. I tried both ways, using my hands on one occasion and the back of a spoon on a different occasion and I can attest that using your hands is always the way to go.
Now onto the filling. That thick, sweet, lemon-y glossy filling.
While the crust is baking in the oven you can throw the filling together quickly. In a large bowl combine the eggs with the lemon juice and lemon zest and mix well. Then add in the sugar. As your mixing everything together it’ll turn a bright, sunny yellow and then add in a little bit of flour,baking powder, and salt to thicken the mixture up just a little bit. Once your crust is done baking you don’t even have to wait for it to cool, just pour the lemon filling right over it and pop it back into the oven to finish baking. How quick, and awesome is that?!
Once these come out of the oven wait for them to cool completely before garnishing them with powdered sugar. If you sprinkle the powdered sugar over them while their still warm the sugar will just melt into the bars. I like to stick these bars in them refrigerator for a few hours to let the chill and then sprinkle powdered sugar over them before serving.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons of lemon zest
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Combine flour and powdered sugar together in a bowl and add in melted butter. Mix together until everything is combined and the dough forms. Pour dough mixture into the baking dish and firmly press it together to form a crust. Bake crust in the oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden.
- While the crust is baking you can prepare the filling. In a large bowl mix together eggs, lemon juice,lemon zest and sugar using an electric mixture. Mix together until filling is smooth and combined. Add in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix together until everything is well combined.
- Once crust is done baking pour lemon filling directly over the crust (you don't have to wait for the crust to cool). Once the filling even spreads over the crust return the baking dish back into the oven for another 25-30 minutes.
- When the bars are done allow them to cool to room temperature or chill them in the refrigerator for a few hours. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top, cut into squares and serve.