This Ultimate Chex Mix Snack is your answer to the perfect snack. A little sweet & salty, crunchy, chocolate-ly, smooth ribbons of caramel and marshmallow topping, your favorite candy pieces; this is a kind of movie night, lazy day, slumber party kinda chex mix snack.
I’m a total snacker. I’m the type of person that if I can’t decide on an entree to order at a resturant I’m totally cool with ordering a bunch of appetizers to pick and snack on. I love finger foods and the art of “snacking”, so naturally creating the ultimate snack was on my list of priorities.
Kyle (the boyfriend) and I have started a tradition of watching old movies for our weekly movie night. There’s nothing better than being snuggled up in the comfort of your own home with your love, plopped on a big couch with a enough pillows and blankets to get you through winter. We always have some sort of snack or sweet treat, whether its pints of ice cream, popcorn or anything else we were craving at the moment. Our movie nights have been the inspiration behind this snack.
Chex Mix is one of those traditional, classic staples for snack mix/trail mix. Whether it’s trail mix, muddy buddies, puppy chow or any other variation, it’s a fun snack to mix up and make it your own. For my variation I went a little extra crazy and decided to add lots on mix ins. I wanted sweet & salty, ooey gooey, finger lickin’, chocolate, crunchy candies pieces…the works!
Chocolate Chex Mix cereal, melted chocolate, caramel and marshmallow toppings, a little sprinkle of coarse sea salt, peanut m&ms and buncha crunch candies…now that’s a snack if I’ve ever seen one. This recipe make a HUGE batch. It’s most appropriate for game night, movie night, slumber parties, book club meetings, lazy nights in, or any other excuse you can think of to have a huge bowl of addicting snack mix.
- 1 box Chocolate Chex Mix cereal
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter (divided)
- 4 ounces semi sweet baker's chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup marshmallow topping
- 1/4 cup caramel topping
- a sprinkle of coarse sea salt
- 3/4 cup buncha crunch candy
- 1 cup peanut M&Ms
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine chopped semi sweet chocolate and 2 tablespoons of butter. Melt butter in the microwave in 30 second sessions, stirring between each session, repeat until butter and chocolate are completely melted, smooth and thick. In a separate microwave safe bowl, melt remaining 6 tablespoons of butter. Add in corn syrup and light brown sugar and stir together until combined. Texture will be thick and slightly gritty.
- Pour the entire box of Chex Mix Cereal into a big mixing bowl. Pour brown sugar mixture over the cereal and gently toss with a big spoon or spatula. Mixture will not cover all the cereal, just toss it several times to get it mixed in with the cereal. Pour cereal onto the baking sheet and spread it out evenly.
- Gather the rest of your ingredients; melted chocolate, caramel and marshmallow topping, coarse sea salt and candy pieces.
- Using a spoon drizzle melted chocolate over the cereal. This doesn't have to be perfect, you'll get some big dollaps and small drizzles over the cereal and that's perfect. Repeat with caramel topping and then marshmallow topping. Sprinkle with sea salt. I like to just put a little in my hand and then sprinkle it over the entire sheet so I can control how much goes on it. Then sprinkle on buncha crunch candy pieces and M&M candy pieces.
- Place the entire baking sheet in the refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes or longer. When ready to serve, break snack mix into smaller chunks and put into bowls or simply serve from the baking tray. Enjoy!