Little peanut butter balls with old fashioned raw oats and chocolate chips just to give you that little pick me up needed during busy weekday afternoons. These little peanut butter chocolate chip snack bites are perfect to make ahead for the week and keep chilled in your refrigerator for anytime you need a little extra pick me up to get you through your busy days.
These definitely belong in a snack category. As I’m typing this I realize I don’t have one on my drop down menu…bummer. That needs to be fixed immediately. Until then, let’s discuss busy week days and snacking.
With school starting back up this week or in the next few weeks to come for some, the days are about to get a little more hectic. I don’t have children but I am finishing up my A.A. degree this semester so I will be hitting the books this week as well. Oh the joy!
As a foodie and avid snacker, that afternoon crash is something I know all to well. You had lunch a few hours ago and it isn’t quite dinner time. You’re either hungry, think your hungry or are just bored. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Well hopefully these little snack bites can be the solution we’re looking for. Quick, easy, and a relatively healthier snack option to help out with that afternoon slump.
These little snack bites definitely satisfy any sort of sweet craving, munchie, hunger pang kinda vibe. They remind me so much of peanut butter oatmeal cookie dough except without the butter, eggs and in this recipe, I’m using gluten free flour for the first time. So basically, a snack that tastes like peanut butter oatmeal cookie dough with chocolate chips and without all the extra junk, ummm yes, please!
Like all great snacks, these come together quick & easy. You basically throw everything together in large bowl, mix until combined, chill for about 30 minutes or so, scoop and roll them into small balls with your hands and ta-daa, snack time! One thing to consider is when you bring the “dough” out of the refrigerator once it’s chilled, it’s very crumbly. Very, Very crumbly. I had the best luck scooping 1.5 tablespoons sized chunks into my hands and patiently molding the dough together and gently rolling it between my hands. At first, it will seem like a disaster, because the dough is crumbly and crumbly dough can be hard to roll together but if you’re patient and keep at it, you’ll get delicious little peanut butter balls in no time.
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl combine peanut butter, honey and pure vanilla extract. Using either a stand mixer with paddle attachment or a electric hand held mixer on medium speed, mix ingredients together until combined. Add in oats and continue mixing until combined and then add in flour and continue mixing until thoroughly combined and "dough" is formed. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer dough to an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Remove dough from the fridge, dough will be dry and crumbly. Use a tablespoon to scoop dough into the palm of your hands and mold it into a ball. Be patient, since the dough is crumbly this may take a little more effort than rolling cookie dough. Place snack bites on a plate and serve immediately or store them in an airtight container and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Snack bites maintain freshness for about 2 to 3 days.