All hail the great Pumpkin Spice Cupcake!!! Is everyone still on the #allpumpkineverything kick? I hope so, because today I’ve got these deliciously moist and perfectly pumpkin flavored cupcakes for you. And the yumminess doesn’t stop there. These cupcakes are topped with Marshmallow buttercream frosting!!!! And of course, don’t forget the festive sprinks 😉
I might as well just come clean and say this now, these are not 100% made from scratch cupcakes. There, I said it, as a food blogger don’t shoot me. I find no shame in the boxed cake mix game. Don’t get me wrong, baking from scratch is still a beautiful thing, but when I stumbled across these cupcakes online I was intrigued. Sometimes baking from scratch is time consuming and we lead busy lives, cut yourself some slack and don’t be ashamed to used boxed/packaged/not 100% from scratch stuff.
This recipe simply uses boxed cake mix as an ingredient, not the entire recipe. Pretty cool huh? I thought so. And the real point – they taste aaauuuhhhmazing and have the best texture. In addition to the cake mix we’re using pudding mix, sour cream, pumpkin pie spice, pure vanilla extract & pumpkin puree.
The batter for these cupcakes comes together in a snap! Once the batter is done all you have to do is line a muffin pan with paper liners and pop them in the oven. And the bake up beautifully. Fluffy, slightly dense, super moist and so much warm, festive pumpkin flavor. I really think these are the only pumpkin spice cupcakes you’ll need 😉
As you can see in the photos ↑ I filled my first batch of cupcake liners a little too much. The result: big, fluffy, perfectly moist cupcakes. My batch did make about 20 cupcakes (because I overfilled the first round) but this just shows you that if you are not totally accurate with the whole fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way, your still going to get awesome cupcakes – just not 24 of them. If you need 24 cupcakes, fill each cup about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full.
And let’s not forget the Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting! As you may know, or maybe you don’t, I’m obsessed with marshmallow flavor. I think it’s a sweet, subtle compliment to many other flavors. And pumpkin is no different. Have you seen my recipe for my No Bake Marshmallow Pumpkin Pie? It’s another easy recipe that combines marshmallow and pumpkin and it’s delicious.
For the frosting all you need is marshmallow fluff, unsalted butter, a splash of vanilla extract and some powdered sugar. It’s the perfect frosting to dollop on top of these cupcakes.
- (1) box of Spice Cake cake mix (15.25 to 18.25 ounces)
- (1) box Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding Mix (3.4 ounce)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- (1) 16 ounce container of Marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened to room temp)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set pan aside.
- In a bowl combine cake mix, pudding mix, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk ingredients together just so they are combined. Set aside.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl combine sour cream, pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix together until thoroughly combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients and continue mixing (scrape down sides of the bowl as needed) until thoroughly combined. Cupcake batter will be thick.
- Using a cookie dough scoop, fill cupcake liners about 2/3 (a little more than half full) of the way full. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, closer to 20 minutes. Use a toothpick to test the center of a cupcake to tell if it's done, toothpick should come out clean when cupcakes are fully baked. Do not over bake cupcakes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting: Add softened butter to a large mixing bowl, mix on medium to high speed for 3-5 minutes so butter becomes whipped and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in marshmallow fluff and vanilla extract, continue mixing on medium speed to mix ingredients together. Slowly add in powdered sugar (on low speed) until combined and then turn up speed to high for another 3 minutes to make frosting super fluffy. Frost cupcakes and serve.
- *Pumpkin Spice Instant Pudding mix may be hard to find at your grocery store. I ordered mine off of Amazon.