Here we go Day 2!!!!! Recipe #2 of Just Add Sprinkles’ 24 Days of Holiday Recipes is an easy (so easy!) and festive sweet treat. No bake and all simple ingredients, perfect for a busy holiday season. These Peppermint Oreo Truffles require very little time and are perfect for holiday parties, school events, Christmas get-togethers, give as gifts maybe….
Needless to say, they’re pretty awesome. And absolutely perfect this time of year.
Chocolate and Peppermint – these two complimentary each other well and are the main focus of these yummy no bake truffles.
You’ll need chocolate, Oreos, a block of cream cheese, Peppermint extract & something for garnish – I used Christmas colored sprinkles & crushed peppermint candies.
For the chocolate coating: For this particular batch I used melted semi sweet chocolate chips, it worked great but the melted chocolate was thick so it took a little extra time coating these babies. Other options that work great are candy melts, baker’s chocolate & chocolate melting wafers.
Get hands on: The easiest way to combine the cookie crumbs and cream cheese (don’t forget the peppermint extract) is to use your hands. It’s a little messy but I’ve tried other ways, using spoons or spatulas and nothing worked as good as just getting in the bowl and combining the ingredients together myself. My best advice; just work with it, it’ll seem like the cookie crumbs aren’t binding to the cream cheese but they will, just keep pushing together with your hands as if your trying to form a huge cookie crumb cream cheese ball, within a few minutes you’ll have it all together.
Peppermint Oreo Truffles
Easy, No Bake chocolate covered Oreo truffles with a hint of peppermint flavor to make them perfect for the holiday season!
- Prep Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- Yield: 36
- 1 standard package of Oreos
- (1) 8 oz. block of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate (baker’s chocolate, baking wafers, or chocolate chips)
- 8 oz white chocolate (baker’s chocolate, baking wafers or morsels)
- optional: sprinkles & soft peppermint candies for garnish
- Leave cream cheese out on the counter for at least 30 minutes before you start to make the truffles so it can come to room temperature.
- In a food processor pulse cookies until they become fine crumbs. Pour cookie crumbs into a large bowl and add in the block of cream cheese. Use your hands to combine the cream cheese and cookie crumbs together, add in peppermint extract and continue to work cookie crumbs and cream cheese until thoroughly combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
- When your ready to scoop and coat the truffles you can melt your chocolate. In a microwave safe bowl heat chocolate in 20 second intervals, stirring the chocolate thoroughly in between each heating. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted & smooth.
- Using a tablespoon or small cookie dough scoop, scoop out small balls and dip into the melted chocolate using a fork. All excess chocolate to drip off the truffles. Place on plate or baking sheet to allow chocolate to set, garnish with sprinkles or crushed peppermint before chocolate drys completely. You may want to stick them in the fridge to firm up before serving.