These Iced Ginger Molasses Cookies scream Christmas to me. The sweet, spiced flavor and soft chewy texture of these cookies are sure to win everyone over. The sweet vanilla glaze on top really completes them (and so do the sprinks 😉).
These cookies are probably some of the softest cookies you’ll ever eat! They practically melt in your mouth. Not as firm as gingerbread cookies, or as “spicy” but flavors of molasses, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves & ginger make these cookies sweet, strong & utterly irresistible.
I love how quickly these cookies come together, everything from the cookie dough to the icing is easy peasy. There’s no chilling time required which is a huge time savor and the icing is made in a matter of seconds! Once the cookies cool (which doesn’t take long either) you make the icing by combining powdered sugar, a splash of vanilla extract and a little bit of milk into a bowl and whisk with a fork. Icing will thicken up and will be the little extra piece of heaven on top of these ginger molasses cookies.
Iced Ginger Molasses Cookies
Spiced & sweet, soft & tender; these iced ginger molasses cookies are full of flavor and soft texture that everyone will love.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
For the cookies
- 3/4 cup (12 tbsp) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the icing
- 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk ( I used 2%)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a bowl combine dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nut meg, ginger & salt. Give it a quick whisk or stir and set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute. Add in sugar and continue to cream together for about 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add in molasses and egg, continue to mix until thoroughly combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly until combined, cookie dough will be thick.
- Scoop cookie dough and place on cookie sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake for 9-10 minutes. After a couple of minutes transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the icing: in a small bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk and whisk together with a fork until icing thickens and all the sugar is absorbed into the milk. Add a little extract milk to think it out if you like or add a little extra sugar if you want it thicker.
- Use a knife to spread icing over cookies or drizzle over cookie with a spoon. Add sprinkles if desired.