So as much of a dessert connoisseur as I claim to be I’ve actually never had banana pudding…until last week. Crazy right?! I don’t even know how that happened (the never trying it) but last week while we were visiting Gainesville I was blessed with the spontaneous opportunity to try it. As soon as I had the first bite I knew I had to make my own version for the blog.
One of the things that made me fall in love with banana pudding was the texture; creamy, soft pudding meets crumbs of sweet vanilla wafer cookies. Even though this recipe was inspired by traditional banana pudding, this recipe is a little different. This recipe calls for banana cream pudding mixed with cool whip & sweetened condensed milk. This actually makes the pudding has a little more of a mousse type texture but still very close to traditional pudding.
I decided to call this “easy peasy” banana cream pudding because you’re pretty much just assembling the banana pudding mixture and then letting it set in the fridge for about 15 minutes, super quick & easy.
When you’re ready to serve just chop up some banana, toss them into the pudding, and top with crushed vanilla wafer cookies. You’ve got a delicious dessert with 20 minutes!
Easy Peasy Banana Cream Pudding
A twist on traditional banana pudding
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- 1 package (5.1 oz) banana cream instant pudding/pie filling (and ingredients needed to make pudding according to package instructions)
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups cool whip
- 2 or 3 bananas (cut into chunks, this is optional)
- Vanilla wafer cookies
- In a large bowl prepare the banana cream pudding according to package instructions. Once pudding is made add in the sweetened condensed milk and cool whip. Beat mixture with a handheld mixer on medium speed for a few minutes until thoroughly combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to set and slightly thicken.
- When ready to serve cut bananas into small chunks and fold into the pudding, this step if optional.
- Put some crushed vanilla wafer cookies into a bowl and layer with banana cream pudding and then add a few more cookies on top for extra texture & crunch.
- Left overs can be stored in the refrigerator.