Holy Moly are these things good! And slightly addicting. 3 words to describe these Frozen Key Lime Pie Squares are cool, creamy & tart. What else do you need for summer??!!
I found the original recipe for these squares over at Laura Vitale’s Youtube channel Laura in the Kitchen. I soon as I saw these I knew they would be a hit in our house. I also immediately thought of adding some dark chocolate to the mix. Chocolate covered key lime pie is a thing in the Florida Keys so I thought why not add a little bit of Florida to these squares. I also had visions of salted buttery graham cracker crumbs to make them incredible. The final result: a perfect combination of sweet, salty, creamy & tart. This treat is a #mustmake.
This recipe pretty much takes no time at all. All the work is done by your freezer. Once the key lime pie squares are frozen, cut them into squares (obviously) and return them to the freezer so they don’t melt while you melt the chocolate and prep the graham cracker crumbs.
For the chocolate: First off, I highly recommend using dark chocolate for these, trust me! You can either melt the chocolate in the microwave and use a double broiler. Just make sure the chocolate is completely melted & smooth.
For the salty graham cracker crumbs: this couldn’t be easier – crush up half a sleeve of graham crackers and add them into a bowl. Melt 2-3 tablespoons of salted butter (make sure to use salted) and add to the crumbs. Add in a few extra pinch of salt and toss the crumbs together until coated with butter. The crumbs should not be drenched, but just lightly coated.
Now grab your frozen key lime pie bars!
Now as you can see from the photos I did a variety of how I dressed up these bars, and you can too! Some of them I just coated the sides with graham cracker crumbs. Some are drizzled with dark chocolate and others have half the side covered in chocolate and coated with crumbs…the choice is yours!Print
Frozen Key Lime Pie
Frozen key Lime Pie Squares have a creamy, key lime pie ice cream center, graham cracker outside and are drizzled with dark chocolate and sprinkled with salty graham cracker crumbs.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 6:00+
- Total Time: 6:10+
- Yield: 12
- about 2 sleeves graham crackers (divided, see note)
- 1 and 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- dark chocolate chips (or baking bar – melted)
- salted butter
- pinch of salt
- Line a 9×9 inch baking dish with plastic wrap. Make sure to leave enough overhang to easily lift up the squares when they’re done. Line the bottom of the baking dish with graham crackers, you may have to break a few up to cover the corners or sides. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine heavy cream, lime juice, lime zest and powdered sugar together and beat with an electric mixer on high speed for a few minutes until stiff peaks from, mixutre should resemble stiff whipped cream.
- Use a spoon or spatula to pour the heavy cream mixture over the bottom layer of graham crackers. Smooth mixture out evenly. Cover the top with graham crackers the same way to lined the bottom. Cover the whole dish with plastic wrap and allow squares to freeze for at least 6 hours or up to overnight.
- When completely frozen remove from the freezer and cut into squares, return them to the freezer so they don’t melt while you prep the chocolate and graham cracker crumbs.
- Melt the chocolate using a microwave or a double broiler, set aside once completely melted and smooth. Crush remaining graham crackers into fine crumbs. Pour them into a bowl and toss with melted butter and a few pinches of salt.
- Grab the squares and garnish them however you like; dip in the chocolate, covered with graham crack crumbs, drizzle chocolate over them, it’s completely up to you!
- Serve immediately or freeze until ready to serve.
- You’ll need about 2 sleeves of graham crackers for this recipe. A full sleeve plus half of one for the actual squares and then use the remaining graham crackers to make into graham cracker crumbs