Ga’s Easy Blueberry Coffee Cake
A sweet coffee cake with lots of blueberries throughout and topped with a delicious brown sugar crumb topping that add crunch & texture.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 60 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
For the cake
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened to room temp)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 pint (2 cups) fresh blueberries
For the crumb topping
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (heaping)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray or line with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small bowl combine your dry ingredients; flour, baking powder & salt – give it a quick whisk and set aside for a moment.
- In a separate, large bowl combine butter and sugar, cream together using an electric hand mixer on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and continue mixing. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Slowly add in half of the dry ingredients and half the milk. Continue mixing until combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding in the remaining dry ingredients, the rest of the milk & the vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly until combine, do not over mix. Fold in blueberries. Pour cake batter into the baking dish and smooth it out.
- Make the topping: in a bowl combine granulated sugar, light brown sugar, flour & cinnamon. Give the ingredients a quick stir to mix them together. Drizzle in melted butter and mix together using a fork so you get little lumps of the mixture. Mixture will be moist and sticky. Sprinkle the topping all over the top of the cake, it will seem like a lot of topping but use it all!
- Bake the in the oven for 35 minutes, after 35 minutes reduce the oven temperature to 350 and bake for 10-15 more minutes. Cake is down when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 15 to 20 minutes before cutting in to and serving.
Keywords: breakfast, blueberries, crumb cake, brunch, baking