Chances are if you’ve been to this blog, you know about my sprinkled sugar cookie recipe. It is by far the most popular recipe on my blog. I’ve received dozens of comments from readers saying how much they love these, and hearing that truly makes my heart sing. Making people happy through cookies = 💓💓💓
The original recipe is for a typical sugar cookie, where sugar & butter are the key notes for flavor. I always wondered how a chocolate version of this recipe would go over. So here it is. Hello Chocolate Sprinkled Sugar Cookies!
These cookies are just as bright and happy as the original but I think they’re especially unique because, how often do you see chocolate sugar cookies?! And the chocolate color makes the sprinks pop a little extra!
I made a few adjustments to the recipe but it’s still a very simple recipe and it’s great to make with kids, they’ll love rolling the cookie dough in the sprinkles just before baking.
A few adjustments made to the recipe:
- Less flour – using cocoa powder is the same as adding more dry ingredients to a recipe. I didn’t want to compromise on the cocoa powder so I figured there was room to take out some flour, and it worked like a charm.
- Used granulated sugar AND dark brown sugar – dark brown sugar has moisture because of the addition to molasses in it. I wanted to add extra moisture to these cookies (nothing worse than dry cookies 😝) so I cut half the amount of granulated sugar in half and replaced it with dark brown sugar. If you only have light brown sugar that’s fine too.
- An extra egg yolk – again for extra moisture and richness.
Chocolate Sprinkled Sugar Cookies
The chocolate version of my popular sprinkled sugar cookies!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 20 cookies
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pack dark brown sugar (light brown sugar is fine)
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup rainbow nonpareil sprinkles (or sprinkles of your choice)
- optional: sugar for rolling, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Stir dry ingredients together for a few seconds to just mix it together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugars together using a hand held mixer or stand mixer on medium speed. Mix for 2-3 minutes so butter is light and fluffy. Add in egg & vanilla extract. Scrap down the sides of the bowl with a spatula necessary. Continue mixing until combined. Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add in dry ingredients. Continue mixing on low speed until dry ingredients are fully incorporated and cookie dough is formed.
- Pour additional sugar or sprinkles (or both) onto a small plate for rolling. Scoop 1.5 tablespoon sized dough balls and roll each one in between your palms to make a circular shape. Roll individual dough balls in sugar/ sprinkles until completely covered. Place dough balls on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart, you may need to make smaller batches at a time. Using the bottom of a small drinking glass, light press on top of each cookie to slightly flatten it. Do not completely flatten, cookies should still be thick. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and all to cool for about 15 minutes so the cookies have time to firm up slightly. Serve immediately.
Keywords: cookies, sprinkles, sugar cookies, chocolate