Today I bring you a delectable, sweet, crunchy snack!
Have you ever had muddy buddies a.k.a. puppy chow?! If not, then your in for a treat. These puppies (no pun intended) are no bake, quick to assemble, and addictive…. I know, perfect right?!
One thing that’s awesome about puppy chow is that it’s a versatile recipe. It doesn’t just stop at funfetti, I’ve seen recipes for cookies n cream, peppermint, s’mores (working on my own version currently), thin mint, Nutella… the possibilities are endless, so feel free to get creative.
Like I stated above, this recipe is no baking, and really quick to make. It’s a go to recipe if your having a craving that needs to be satisfied stat! We’ve all been there…
The base of any puppy chow recipe is Corn Chex cereal also known as toasted corn cereal if you like to shop generic brands. I highly recommend using the corn version instead of rice because the rice chex is fragile, and you’ll be doing some mixing and shaking with this recipe so the corn option holds its own a little better.
I’d also like to mention that this recipe makes a HUGE batch! It calls for 6 cups of chex, definitely good to make for sharing with friends.
So what you’ll want to do is measure out 6 cups of cereal and place it in a big bowl. In a small separate bowl combine cake mix and sprinkles and give them a few stirs just to mix everything together evenly. Next, create a double broiler on your stove top. To create a double broiler, simply fill a small sauce pan about half way with water, place it on low-medium heat so it comes to a simmer, (mild boil) and place a glass (heat safe) bowl on top of the sauce pan. This is my favorite way to melt chocolate but it’s optional for this recipe. If you prefer to melt the chocolate in the microwave and stir it in between heating you make do that as well.
Break the white chocolate bars into small pieces and add them into the bowl. Measure and pour heavy cream into the bowl with the chocolate. As chocolate begins to melt, stir it continuously to help blend the heavy cream and chocolate together. If you need to take a break, feel free too, nothing will happen if you stop stirring. The chocolate should melt within about 5 minutes. Once the heavy cream and chocolate is melted and combined, remove the glass bowl from the sauce pan. Add in almond and butter extracts and give it a good stir.
Pour the melted white chocolate over the cereal. Now, slowly and carefully, fold the chocolate and cereal together. This may take a minute or two because you’ll want to go slow to avoid breaking all your chex squares. Once the cereal is thoroughly covered and sticky, pour the cake mix and sprinkles over the cereal and continue to fold everything together. Again, this may take a few minutes to just get everything nice and covered.
I’ve also seen techniques where you put the chocolate covered cereal in a huge zip lock bag with the cake mix and sprinkles and shake it to your heart’s content…that will also work. It’s all about your options people!
This snack is ready to be devoured immediately! For storage, I like to keep my puppy chow in a gallon sized zip lock bag. With my experience the puppy chow should stay crunchy for just a day, after that it becomes a little more stale and looses the crunch factor.
Funfetti Puppy Chow
A delectable, sweet, crunchy snack for any funfetti lover!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 15
- 6 cups Corn Chex cereal (feel free to use Rice Chex as well)
- 8 oz white chocolate baking squares (melted)
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon imitation butter extract
- 2 cups vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup sprinkles (I used rainbow jimmies)
- Measure out 6 cups of Chex cereal and place it in a large bowl. In a small, separate bowl, combine cake mix and sprinkles. Mix together so sprinkles are distributed throughout the cake mix (like funfetti). Set aside.
- Create a double broiler on your stove top. Fill a small sauce pan about half way with water and place it on low-medium heat. Place a glass bowl over the top of the sauce pan. Allow water to come to a simmer. Break up white chocolate baking squares and place them into the glass bowl. Add in heavy cream and begin mixing together. Continue stirring until white chocolate and heavy cream is smooth and combined. Remove from heat.
- Add in almond and butter extracts and give it a good stir. Slowly add melted chocolate mixture over the Chex cereal. Using a large spoon or spatula, slowly and carefully fold the cereal and chocolate together. Be careful not to break the Chex squares. Once cereal is completely covered with chocolate, add in cake mix with sprinkles and repeat. Slowly and carefully fold everything together until cereal is completely covered with cake mix.
- Serve Immediately.
- * Keep in mind this recipe makes a huge batch of puppy chow, great for sharing!
- *Puppy chow only stays fresh for a day, so it is best served right after you make it.