As predicted, the first post of the new year had to be something healthy. Although I love the holidays, I’m always happy about January; the month of fresh starts and clean slates. I’m always on the health bandwagon come the new year and 2015 is no exception. My big thing this year: creating delicious recipes that are health conscious but still satisfying. I know eating is all about nourishment of the body but I do believe you should fully enjoy it as well.
So here it goes, my first healthy recipe for 2015:
I present to you the Chocolate Avocado Smoothie!
This is a delicious, satisfying & filling smoothie. Perfect for busy mornings, post workouts, an afternoon treat, etc. It’s thick, creamy and tastes like a chocolate smoothie, made with nutritious ingredients.
Like all smoothies, their best served cold. I like to prep my fruit ahead of time, for convenience and so that they’re frozen when it’s time to whip up a smoothie. In the beginning of the week I like to peel and chop my bananas, scoop out my avocado, put them in zip lock bags and freeze them. I use 1 large (ripe) banana and 1 (ripe) Hass avocado in each plastic bag, so everything is ready to go when I’m in the mood for a smoothie.
The taste and texture combination of this smoothie is unbelievable. The avocado really brings the “creaminess” to the table in this recipe, and the cacao powder provides a delicious, natural chocolate flavor. This recipe makes it perfectly acceptable to have something chocolate for breakfast.
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
A satisfying smoothie with the creaminess of avocado and the flavor of chocolate! Full of nutritious ingredients and can be whipped up in minutes.
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5
- 1 large Banana (peeled, chopped, and frozen)
- 1 Hass Avocado (peeled, chopped, and frozen)
- 1 and 1/2 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
- 2 tablespoons Cacao Powder
- 2 tablespoons Almond Butter
- Prep a head of time. Peel and chop bananas. Cut avocado in half and scoop out the seed with a spoon. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon as well. Place chopped banana and avocado in a zip lock bag and freeze.
- In a blender combine frozen banana, avocado, and almond milk. Blend on high speed for 1-2 minutes until fully combined and creamy. Add in protein powder, cacao powder and almond butter, and another splash of milk. Scrap down the sides of the blender if necessary. Blend on high speed for another 1-2 minutes until everything is fully combined, smooth, and creamy. Add more milk for desired consistency if necessary.
- Pour into drinking glasses and serve immediately.
- The prep time above does not include freezing time for the bananas and avocado. Make sure to prep and freeze your fruit a head of time so the smoothie only takes 5 minutes to blend together.
- This recipe makes 2 small servings or 1 regular smoothie.
- Serving Size: 2