I’m always looking for quick, easy healthy meal ideas during the week. Lately I’ve been hooked on asparagus and it’s quickly become a favorite of mine. Affordable, easy to prep and even easier to cook, you may just want to consider serving some up tonight. This quick and easy side dish is healthy, colorful, and doesn’t skimp on flavor.
If you’ve got 10 minutes, you can make this side dish. All it takes are a few simple, fresh ingredients and ta-daa! You’ve got a killer side dish to go along with that chicken or fish your serving tonight.
I can’t believe we’re approaching March. I’m happy to say that I’ve been consistent on making healthier choices since January. Drinking tons of water, eating more vegetables, exercising when time allows and slowly, ever so slowly giving up late night snacking. One of my more healthier approaches that I’ve been sticking too is meal planning and prepping, and that’s how I came to loving this side dish. Planning out my meals and prepping them ahead of time has really helped me to stay on track. It’s even easier when I’ve got quick, go-to veggies like these.
There’s almost no cooking time involved, it’s really all about the prep with this dish. You’ll want to rinse your asparagus and tomatoes, mince up a few cloves of garlic, and cut off the ends of the asparagus and halve your grape “baby” tomatoes. Yes ladies and gentlemen…that’s it. Now we just have to saute everything together.
Bring a medium skillet to low-medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and let that warm up. Once the oil is warm toss in your minced garlic and stir it around as it sizzles. Continue to stir it around so that it doesn’t burn, for about a minute or two. Once the garlic has become fragrant and translucent, add in your asparagus. Allow the asparagus to cook for a few minutes. I like to turn them while they cook to ensure evenly cooking. They should turn bright green rather quickly, at about 3 to 5 minutes. After 5 or 6 minutes throw your tomatoes in and allow everything to cook for another 4 or 5 minutes. I like to use kitchen tongs when preparing this because it makes it easier to turn the asparagus and move the tomatoes around. At this point, I like to add a little salt and pepper to taste. I’ve also have used crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat. Mix it up and use different spices, the flavor will be outstanding. Once 10 minutes has passed everything will be done!
Turn off the heat and transfer the asparagus to a serving dish, or 3 or 4 small Tupperware containers if your meal prepping like me, and your dish is ready to be enjoyed. I’ve served this along side chicken and it’s amazing. I’ve also have added corn to it as well for more color and flavor, my own little veggie trio if you will.
Want are your favorite side dishes?
What are some of your favorite vegetables to cook with?Print
Sauteed Asparagus with Grape Tomatoes
A healthy, colorful blend of asparagus and tomatoes sauteed in garlic and olive oil for a quick and delicious side dish!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15
- 2 or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Ib of fresh asparagus
- 1 and 1/2 cups grape tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper, or other seasonings, to taste
- Place a medium sized skillet over low-medium heat. Add in olive oil and allow it to warm up. Rinse your asparagus and tomatoes and mince your garlic. Cut the ends off of the asparagus and cut your tomatoes in half. Once skillet is warm toss in your garlic and stir it around for a minutes or two, just until it becomes fragrant.
- Add in asparagus and toss them around to coat evenly with olive oil and minced garlic. Allow to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. Add in your grape tomatoes and allow everything to cook together for another 5 minutes, add salt and pepper or other seasonings if you wish. After 10 minutes the asparagus is done. Turn off heat and transfer asparagus and tomatoes to a serving dish, scoop out any remaining juices or garlic and spoon it over the asparagus. Can be served immediately.
- This recipe make one big side dish. I used 1 lb of asparagus which could feed about 4 or 5 people. This is great to make a head of time for meal ideas throughout the week.