These scones are thee perfect way to have your birthday cake for breakfast because who doesn’t want cake for breakfast??!! Light and fluffy on the inside, firm and substantial on the outside. Full of colorful sprinkles and drenched in a sweet vanilla glaze, oh… and they’re buttery throughout too. Definitely a sweet way to start your morning.
When I found this recipe in last year’s Bake From Scratch May/June 2017 issue I pretty much did a back flip. Buttery, flakey, vanilla glaze AND sprinkles…c’mon!! Pretty much my spirit animal breakfast pastry.
The dough for these scones comes together pretty quickly and bakes up quickly too. A combination of vanilla and almond extract give these scones natural birthday cake flavor, it’s subtle and sweet at the same time.
Birthday Cake Scones
Buttery, flakey scones with sweet birthday cake flavor. Plenty of colorful sprinkles throughout and covered in a sweet vanilla glaze.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (divided)
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter (cubed)
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk (divided)
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup of rainbow sprinkles (jimmies work best)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a small bowl or cup combine 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk, set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt – whisk ingredients together. Either using a food processor or 2 forks (by hand) cut the butter into the flour mixture until combined and a crumbly texture forms. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in milk and extracts. Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture together until a shaggy dough forms. Toss in sprinkles, mix to combine,
- Place the dough on a heavily floured surface and knead dough with your hands to 1 to 2 minutes. Pat dough into a 9 inch circle, about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges onto the baking sheet and brush with the sugar/milk mixture from step 1.
- Baking until lightly golden, about 30 minutes. I took mine out of the oven around 26 minutes so check after 25 minutes for doneness.
- Allow scones to cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes.
- Assembly the glaze: in a small bowl combine confectioner’s sugar, milk, vanilla extract & salt into a bowl. Whisk ingredients together and drizzle over scones before serving.