Ever since I baked Alison Roman’s Salted Chocolate Chunk Shortbread recipe I have been looking for all the shortbread recipes. These Billionaire Shortbread Bars have a shortbread crust (so good) and then you layer caramel and chocolate to give you one of the most addicting sweet treats ever!
Billionaire Shortbread Bars go a little beyond a basic shortbread recipe and dang these things are good!! They remind me of Twix candy bars as far as flavor and structure go. You’ve got the crispier, buttery shortbread on the bottom, a layer of caramel-ish filling in the center and then you top with your favorite type of chocolate (I went with dark chocolate) and sprinkle with some flaky sea salt. This is one of those can’t-stop-eating-until-they’re-all-gone kind of treats. So you’ve been forewarned.
For the Shortbread Layer:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Caramel layer:
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
For the Chocolate layer:
- 6 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- *flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the shortbread layer: In a bowl cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in the flour and salt and mix together until combined. Press the dough into the baking pan to form an even, flat layer. Use a fork to pierce holes throughout the layer and bake in the oven to 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make the caramel layer: In a small saucepan, combine the sweetened condensed milk, butter and brown sugar. Heat the mixture on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until the mixture is thick and the color has darken.
- Pour the caramel over the crust and smooth it out evenly. Place the pan in the refrigerator to cool for a couple of hours.
- Make the chocolate layer: In a microwave safe bowl combine the chocolate, butter, and espresso powder. Heat in the microwave for 20 to 30 second intervals, stirring the chocolate in between each heating. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted & smooth. Chocolate will have a thicker texture. Pour the chocolate over the caramel and spread it out evenly, completely covering the top. Sprinkle flaky sea salt over the top and put back into the refrigerator to set for a few more hours. Once bars have been chilling for a few house cut into squares or triangles and serve.