I've got ultra indulgent Brownie Batter Hot Chocolate for today's post. Let me just say, this stuff is good. It's hot chocolate on a new level, I've taken typical hot chocolate that we all know & love and mixed in a few unique ingredients to make it just a little extra special, a little extra sinful and ultra indulgent. This one is definitely for all my hot chocolate lovers out there!
I LOVE hot chocolate, I consider it one of life's simplest pleasures...it's on the list with chocolate chip cookies, cozy blankets, candles...all the good stuff that makes you feel cozy & it's so easy to come by no matter what time of year, which makes it even more awesome. This time of year it's especially necessary. Christmas movie nights, tree decorating, quiet nights in or festive get-togethers should not be complete without a round of warm, comforting hot chocolate.
This recipe take your basic hot chocolate to a whole new level.
2 unique ingredients: brownie mix & sweetened condensed milk
This hot chocolate is made on the stove top, all ingredients in one saucepan and all you need to do is whisk them together. It couldn't be any easier. Simply warm up your milk first, over low medium heat. Add in the brownie mix, unsweetened cocoa powder, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla & just a pinch of salt. If you like your hot chocolate on the thicker side, use heavy cream or half heavy cream & half milk. I like mine a little thinner so I use all milk, I typically have 2% on hand so that's what I used but you can do whole milk, heavy cream, half&half, whatever you have will work fine. Whisk everything together until you have a smooth consistency and the liquid is warm. Simply pour into mugs and serve.
I really like using brownie mix because it gives a slightly different flavor than standard hot chocolate and it does add a little extra texture to it too. The sweetened condensed milk really just makes it extra luscious & delicious, with the sweetened condensed milk a little goes a long way. I suggest storing the rest of it in an air tight container and keeping it cool in the fridge so you can use it throughout the season anytime you make hot chocolate.
Brownie Batter Hot Chocolate
- 6 cups milk I used 2%
- 2 cups brownie mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt ¼ teaspoon
- *Optional - marshmallows or whipped cream for topping
- Pour milk in a medium sized saucepan over low medium heat. Warm milk and add in brownie mix & unsweetened cocoa powder and whisk until all the clumps from the dry ingredients are broken up and mixture is smooth. Add in sweetened condensed milk & vanilla extract, turn the heat up to medium and whisk frequently for about 10 minutes. Test liquid to make sure the temperature is to your liking. Remove from heat, pour into cups and serve. Add marshmallows or whipped cream if you like