These Chewy Birthday Cake Sugar Cookies are just as pretty as they are tasty. I've been eyeing these beauties ever since I saw them on The Sweet and Simple Kitchen's instagram. The cookie dough for the recipe is the most airy, fluffiest cookie dough you'll ever whip up. And the cookies themselves bake into these generously sized, attractive and chewy pieces of cookie heaven.
cookie texture is everything
When it comes to cookies I'm a sucker for texture, so the cracks and crinkles in these cookies have me swooning. I love how the nonpareil sprinkles pop and are generously distributed throughout the cookies without being crowded.
Like I said above, these cookies have the BEST texture. This is achieved by beating the butter and sugar together for 7 minutes. Do not skimp on this. Don't just beat the two together until combined. No. You want them whipped into the fluffiest texture possible. After 7 minutes (and make sure the mixer is on medium speed) the butter and sugar turn into an almost buttercream-like consistency. It's so airy, fluffy and delicious. This is what you want for this particular cookie dough.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sprinkles I used nonpareils
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter and granulated sugar. Use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a handheld mixer to beat the butter and sugar together for 7 minutes on medium speed. Do not skip on time. You want the butter and sugar to be thoroughly combined with a very airy, fluffy texture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and continue mixing until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Slowly add in the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix the ingredients together on low speed just until combined. Cookie dough will be dry and incredibly fluffy. Add in sprinkles and mix just until the sprinkles are distributed throughout the dough.
- Use a cookie dough scoop to scoop out the cookie dough and place it on the baking sheets, giving about 2 inches or more of space between the cookies. These cookies spread while baking so make sure to give them enough room on the baking sheet, I placed 6 balls of dough on each baking sheet.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, cookies should be golden brown around the edges, and have crinkles throughout the top. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.