How could key lime pie get any better?! Easy – cover it in dark chocolate! Oh yes, I went there. Frozen Key Lime Pie slices dipped in dark chocolate to give you all the sweet, creamy, tart, chocolate covered magic, all on a popsicle stick. Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie might sounds kinda crazy to put together but guess what, if you’ve already made a key lime pie you’re half way there.
Let’s start with the pie
So for chocolate dipped key lime pie you need to start with a delicious key lime pie. I highly recommend this one. It’s super simple, and freezes wonderfully. The filling is sweet, creamy & tart; essential for a traditional key lime pie. The graham cracker crust is thick and gives great texture to compliment the filling and goes well with chocolate.
The one thing about this recipe is that you have to wait between chilling the pie after it’s baked and then, freezing the slices. You definitely want to make sure the pie has had the right amount of time to chill and then you really want to slices to be frozen. The last thing you want is for the key lime pie slices to be falling apart when you dip them in chocolate. It’s worth the wait (I promise!) but it’s the one thing I wanted to mention before you get started.
chocolate dipped key lime pie
So you’ve baked your key lime pie. It’s been chilling in the fridge and is ready to be sliced. Before you start slicing, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. This way you can evenly space out the slices while they freeze. And, you can return them right to the cookie sheet once they’ve been dipped.
Slice the pie like you normally would. Place the slices on the cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 4 to 6 hours or up to overnight. When you’re ready to dip the slices, take then out of the freezer and stick a popsicle stick through the crust side of the slice and return the slices back to the freezer for 30 minutes.
Prepare the chocolate: For the recipe I highly recommend dark chocolate; it compliments the tart of the key lime pie filling so well but you can use whatever you have. I think milk chocolate would be great with this too. Melt the chocolate in a glass, microwave safe bowl until it is silky smooth but before not to over do it – chocolate can burn easily. Once the chocolate is completely melted it’s time to dip!
You can either dip the slices of pie straight into the chocolate, turning it in the chocolate to cover all the sides or you can use a spoon to drizzle it over each slice, it’s completely up to you. As you can see in the photos I went all in and just covered each slice as much as I could. You’ll want to return the chocolate covered slices to the freezer for just a few minutes to set. Once the chocolate has set, they’re ready to enjoy.
Chocolate Dipped Key lime Pie
- handheld electric mixer
- 9 inch pie dish
- popsicle sticks
For the Pie
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup brown sugar light or dark can be used
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- (2) 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup sour cream preferably full fat
- ¾ cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
For the Chocolate
- 8 to 12 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
First make the Pie:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 inch pie dish with non stick baking spray.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk the ingredients together. Pour melted butter over the crumbs and mix together until crumbs are evenly coated. Pour crumb mixture into a 9 inch pie dish and pack it firmly to form a crust, make sure the crust goes up the sides of the dish. Bake for 10 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and lime zest. Use a handheld mixer on medium speed to beat everything together just until it combines. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and along the bottom to make sure everything is evenly mixed together. Pour filling over the graham cracker crust and bake in the oven for 7 to 8 minutes. Allow pie to cool at room temperature for about an hour. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill over night.
- Once the pie has chilled overnight, remove it from the fridge and cut into even slices. The number of slices you get will depend on how big you make the slices. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the individual slices on the baking sheet and set in the freezer to firm up for a few hours. Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and insert a popsicle stick into the crust side of each slice. Return to the freezer for another 30 minutes.
Melt the Chocolate:
- Place the chopped chocolate in a micrwave safe bowl. Heat the chocolate in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Take the bowl and stir the chocolate around, return it to the microwave for 20-30 seconds, removing the bowl and stirring the chocolate. Repeat this until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Make sure not to over do it becasue chocolate can burn easily.
Putting it all together:
- Take the key lime pie slices out of the freezer. Carefully dip each slice into the chocolate, turning it over to cover all the sides, let the excess chocolate drip of the slice. You can also use a spoon to just drizzle the chocolate over the slices if you prefer. Place the slices back onto the baking sheet and return to the freezer for just 10 minutes or so, so the chocolate has time to set. You can serve immediately or store them in a freezer-safe container to enjoy later.