Do you ever find yourself suddenly craving something sweet but you feel too lazy to go out and pick up extra ingredients or don't feel like a whole baking session?! I've been there and I get it. Luckily this Chocolate Mug Cake recipe is just the recipe you need when that sudden craving hits. Chances are you have all this ingredients on hand (especially if you're a baker) and it takes no time at all. I'm talking 5 maybe 10 minutes top from start to dessert's ready! This Chocolate Mug Cake makes a generous single serve portion of fudgy, chocolate cake perfect baked in a coffee mug. You'll be hooked with how delicious (and how EASY) it is!
This recipe is just like the boxed mug cake mixes you'll find in the grocery store, but you know the drill - homemade is always better! The concept is the same too, combine all the ingredients into a mug and mix them together to form the cake batter. Pop the coffee mug into the microwave (make sure it's a heat safe mug!) for no longer than 1 minute (45 sec. to 1 min) and you've got a warm, fudgy chocolate cake specially made for you.
a few quick tips for making mug cake
- Most importantly - make sure the coffee mug you are using is microwave safe! Use can look at the bottom of the mug to check for a microwave safe label. If you don't have mug that you want to use, a small bowl will work too, just make sure whatever you use is heat safe. We don't want any burns/injuries while making something so yummy.
- You'll see in the recipe card that I use espresso powder with hot water in the recipe. If you don't have espresso powder, no big deal. You can also brew a small cup of coffee and reserve 2 tablespoons of that as well. OR if you don't have espresso powder and don't want to brew coffee, just use the 2 tablespoons of hot water. When it comes to chocolate recipes I love using espresso powder or coffee to enhance the flavor of chocolate, you don't taste the coffee flavor. In this recipe it's optional and can be skipped completely if you don't have that ingredient.
- Like ovens, microwaves vary with each make and model. When I tested this recipe I liked the texture best at 1 minute, but 45 seconds will work too, the cake might resemble more lava cake than a firmer cake-like texture surface. If making a mug cake for the first time you make want to heat it up for 30 seconds first, check it and then heat for an additional 15 seconds. If you take the mug out of the microwave and you like the texture, it's done. If you want it a little firmer, heat for the remaining 15 seconds (so the total time equals 1 minute).
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes before you dig into it because it will be HOT.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder see note
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a heat safe coffee mug or small bowl, combine butter, hot water and espresso powder. Stir the ingredients together to combine. Add in the sugar and vanilla extract and mix together to combine. Add in flour, salt and cocoa powder until a cake batter forms. Mixtures should be thick. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Place the mug in the microwave and heat for 45 seconds to a minute. The cake will be softer at 45 minutes and firmer at 1 minute. Carefully remove the mug from the microwave and let the cake cool for a few minutes because it will be very hot coming out of the microwave. Enjoy cake as is or add a scoop of ice cream to the top.