Yes, you read that right! Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough a.k.a. one of the best things ever. Chocolate chip cookie dough has to be one of the most delicious things ever and the forbidden fruit of any dessert lover.
I’m sure you’ve seen plenty of versions of edible chocolate chip cookie dough in the stores but guess what, you can easily make this stuff at home!
Two essential tips for making edible chocolate chip cookie dough:
No eggs: This is probably the more obvious of the two. No eggs allowed in edible cookie dough. Consuming anything with raw eggs can increase your risk of getting sick because raw eggs may carry a germ called salmonella. I’m not a health expert by any means but you can read all about it here.
Because we’re leaving the eggs out, we still need something to help bind the dough together. That’s where the milk comes in. I highly recommend using a milk that has a higher fat content, like 2% or whole milk, for better flavor and texture. Non fat milk may be to thin in consistency for the texture we’re going for.
Heat treated flour: heating the flour before adding it into the dough cuts the risk of E. Coli contamination, which has been found in raw flour. So, we bake the flour on a baking sheet for 5 to 7 minutes in a 350 degree oven. To be safe, test the flour with a food thermometer to make sure it reads 165 degrees. Make sure you let the flour cool completely before adding it to the wet ingredients.
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk whole milk would be good too
- 1 cup all purpose flour heat treated & sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 & 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven the 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Measure out 1 cup of all purpose flour, sift it and spread it out over the baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes. Flour will be warm when it comes out of the oven, test the flour with a food thermometer to make sure it reaches 165 degrees. Allow flour to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the butter and both sugars. Using a handheld electric mixer beat the ingredients on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly combined and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract and milk. Continue mixing until combined. Slowly add in the flour and salt, and continue to mix everything together. Dough will be thick and sticky, fold in 1 to 1 & 1/2 cups chocolate chips. Cookie can be consumed right away or store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Cookie dough will harden as it chills.