These funfetti bars are AUH-MAZING. Chewy, soft & tender in texture, loaded with a yummy cream cheese cake batter-y flavor and lots of sprinkles (because, duh!) and beautifully dusted with powdered sugar, these bars make for some pretty delicious handhelds. I originally found this recipe in an older copy of Bake From Scratch Magazine and I just could not help myself!!!
Here at Just Add Sprinkles we take sweet treats with sprinks pretty seriously and these make the list. Not only are they pretty and pleasing to the palate but they are incredibly easy to make.
This recipe is a one-bowl wonder. When making the base of this recipe; butter, cream cheese & sugar, you’re essential making a delicious and fluffy cream cheese frosting – and that’s just the base people!!!! Anything built off of a frosting-like base is bound to be delicious! Once you have all your ingredients assembled you’re pretty much just throwing everything into a bowl and mixing everything together until a thick dough forms. Cream cheese makes these bars extra soft in the center and the combination of vanilla and almond extract bring a natural cake batter flavor.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup cream cheese softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving enough paper on the sides to make for easy lifting to transfer the bars once they're done baking. Set dish aside.
- In a large bowl combine butter and cream cheese and sugar, beat on medium speed using an electric mixer for about 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add in the egg and both extracts, continue mixing until combined. Add in flour, baking powder & salt, mixing until combined. Batter will be thick, fold in sprinkles. Spread the dough evenly into the baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the center is set.
- Let the bars cool completely. Once cooled lift up the sides of the parchment paper to transfer onto a cutting board and dust with confectioner's sugar using a sifter. Cut into squares or triangles.