What comes to your mind when you see Funfetti Cupcakes? Or let’s word associate, I say funfetti cupcakes you say….
I instantly say ‘Happy”. Funfetti Cupcakes make me happy! What’s not to love or feel happy about a mini cake with pretty specks of bright color throughout?!
Just look at the pop or blue, orange, pink..I spy a little speck of red & green too ?
And what’s not to love about that yellow cake flavor. Buttery and divine. Can you tell I love funfetti cake? ?
When it comes to funfetti cake to you do vanilla frosting or chocolate? I went with vanilla for this round but I’m a sucker for chocolate fudge frosting on a yellow cake. This vanilla frosting is so fluffy and flavorful. The texture is unreal. My secret ingredient to great frosting is mascarpone cheese! Mascarpone cheese is awesome because it thickens the frosting while giving it an incredible soft texture and marscapone cheese has a very mild flavor so it just blends in with whatever flavor your going for. If you haven’t tried it I highly recommend that you do!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 15.25 ounce package yellow cake mix
- 1 3.4 ounce vanilla instant pudding mix (not cook & serve)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles jimmies
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 8 ounce tub mascarpone cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees or according to package (cake mix) instructions. Line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the the cake mix and pudding mix and give it a quick stir to mix the dry ingredients together. Add in the eggs, sour cream, oil, milk and vanilla extract, mix everything together using a handheld mixer on medium speed, stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Mix until batter is thoroughly combined and smooth, do not over beat the cake batter. Fold in the rainbow sprinkles. Scoop cake batter into cupcake pan, filling each liner about half way, do not fill to the top. Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: in a large bowl combine the butter and mascarpone cheese. Beat on medium speed for about 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the powdered sugar, beat on low speed for about a minute and then work your way back up to medium speed. While on medium speed add in the milk, vanilla extract and the pinch of salt. Allow the frosting to mix for about 3 to 5 minutes on medium speed so it can get a nice fluffy texture. Frost cupcakes to your preference!