Rum Balls are a fun boozy holiday treat that will surely go over well with all the adults this holiday season. Filled with chocolate, nuts, cookie crumbs, and a few other yummy ingredients and some rum, these are sure to make your holiday tradition list year after year!
The little tasty truffles are filled with all the good stuff: semi sweet chocolate, sugar, corn syrup, rum, vanilla wafer cookie crumbs, a little vanilla extract & a healthy dose of espresso powder (to enhance the chocolate of course!). This list of ingredients couldn’t be any simpler, especially this time of year. And they’re no bake, saving you extra time with no special skills or kitchen equipment required.
Once you’ve melted your chocolate until smooth it’s a pretty consistent line up of just adding and mixing ingredients until everything is combined. You’ll need to chill the rum ball mixture of about 30 minutes, just so the mixture has time to firm up so it’s easily scoop-able and easy to roll into balls with your hands.
You usually see traditional rum balls rolled in powder sugar but I always like to add a little variety so I rolled these not only in powdered sugar, but also unsweetened cocoa powder, crushed vanilla wafer cookie crumbs, crushed walnuts and I also left a few bare. It’s all about the variety people.
Once Ive finished rolling them in various sugar or crumbs I like to place them in mini cupcake liners and keep them stored in the refrigerator in a covered container until ready to serve. It couldn’t be easier than that. People will go crazy for these!!!
Holiday Rum Balls
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/2 cup of rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon espresso powder
- 2 and 1/2 cups vanilla wafer cookie crumbs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
For Garnish (optional)
- confectioner's sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- vanilla wafer cookie crumbs
- crushed walnuts
- Place semisweet chocolate chips in a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat chocolate in 20-30 seconds intervals, stirring in between each heating until completely smooth. Add in sugar and corn syrup and mix until combined. Add in rum and mix, be patient with this step it may take a few minutes for rum and chocolate to combine. Add in vanilla, espresso powder & vanilla wafer crumbs and mix thoroughly, add in chopped walnuts and stir until everything is combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and using a tablespoon measure or just a spoon scoop rum ball mixture and rolls between your hands until small balls are formed. If rolling in garnish pour confectioner's sugar or other choices onto small plates and roll balls around until their surface is completely covered. Place in mini cupcake liners and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.