These Sprinkled Sugar Cookies are by far the most popular recipe on my blog. One of the things I love about these cookies is that they’re decorated with colorful sprinkles, which not only makes them fun but easy to coordinate them for any holiday, or special occasion. Besides, who doesn’t love sprinkles?!
Sugar cookies are very popular this time of year so I thought why not make these deliciously easy sugar cookies with Christmas colored sprinkles. I know in my original post I had mentioned that you can use any colored sprinkles throughout the year depending on the holiday or occasion but I thought why not make a batch to show you how lovely and festive they look for Christmas time!
I love how to red, green and white nonpareils look against a light colored sugar cookie, very Christmas-y if you ask me.
This sugar cookie recipe is so easy, no chill time for the dough and very simple ingredients. It’s the perfect cookie recipe for a very busy time of year.
Sprinkled Sugar Cookies - Christmas Edition
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 2 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Additional sugar or sprinkles for rolling*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Stir dry ingredients together for a few seconds to just mix it together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together using a hand held mixer or stand mixer on medium speed. Mix for 2-3 minutes so butter is light and fluffy. Add in egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Continue mixing until egg and both extracts are combined. Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add in dry ingredients. Continue mixing on low speed until dry ingredients are fully incorporated and cookie dough is formed.
- Pour additional sugar or sprinkles (or both) onto a small plate for rolling. Scoop 1.5 tablespoon sized dough balls and roll each one in between your palms to make a circular shape. Roll individual dough balls in sugar/ sprinkles until completely covered. Place dough balls on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart, you may need to make smaller batches at a time. Using the bottom of a small drinking glass, light press on top of each cookie to slightly flatten it. Do not completely flatten, cookies should still be thick. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and all to cool for about 15 minutes so the cookies have time to firm up slightly. Serve immediately.