Key Lime Pie lovers rejoice! Here's a ice cream version of your favorite sweet & tart pie. You don't need any fancy equipment (just a hand mixer), and a handful of ingredients to get this easy Key Lime Pie Ice Cream. It's complete with a tart key lime ice cream base and LOTS of salty graham cracker crumbs. Isn't it beautiful?!! ?
no ice cream machine needed!
I'll admit that I do own an ice cream maker, and I love it! But sometimes you just don't feel like pulling out bulky equipment or fussing over complicated prep instructions to make sure the recipe comes out right. I get it, and that was my thoughts exactly when I wanted to create this recipe. No fuss, quick and easy steps with an awesome result. And key lime pie is great for summer. For this recipe you'll need heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, powdered sugar, salted butter and graham crackers. Very easy. And if you don't have key limes available to you where you live just use regular limes - it's pretty much the same thing.
Like I mentioned before this ice cream has a ton of salty, buttery graham cracker crumbs. Why salty? I thought adding a little salt to go with the creamy and tart would be good and it is! When it comes to ice cream I love a ton of mix in's, like cookie crumbs, candy, ribbons of hot fudge; that kinda thing. So I went overboard with the graham cracker crumbs so would you get that sweet, salty, texture with every spoonful of ice cream. It may seem excessive at first but I think you'll love it.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup lime juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- zest of 1 lime divided
- 2 and ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick salted butter melted
- To get started, crush graham crackers into fine crumbs. Add the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter into a bowl and mix together just until the crumbs are lightly coated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix the two together using an electric mixer on medium speed just until combined. Set aside. Pour heavy cream, powdered sugar and half of the lime zest into a separate bowl and beat on high speed for a few minutes until stiff peaks form, the texture should be like whipped cream.
- Slowly add the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed mix mixture and gently fold together until thoroughly combined. If there are streaks of whipped cream or sweetened condensed milk it's fine. Fold in 1 ½ cups of graham cracker crumbs into the ice cream mixture, folding just until they're evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Pour ice cream mixture into a 9 inch load pan, sprinkle the remaining graham cracker crumbs and lime zest over the top of the ice cream. and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to freeze for at least 6 hours or up to overnight. When ready to serve remove the pan from the freezer and let it thaw for about 5 minutes before scooping.