This lemon butter tilapia with tomatoes is a flavorful meal made with fresh ingredients that comes together quickly. With the lemon juice, butter and fresh basil for flavor, the grape tomatoes for color and substance, all come together beautifully with the tender, flaky tilapia.
I love Tilapia because I feel like it’s the kind of protein that you can really flavor it up how you want too. It cooks quickly and has the tenderest, flakiest texture. I feel the same about the grape tomatoes. I love grape tomatoes as an easy way to dress up any dish. They’re sweet, succulent and have the most beautiful color. They’re easy to prep and saute, they’re definitely one of my go-to’s.
Did I mention this dish can all be cooked in the same skillet? How convenient is that?! First you’ll want to prep the tomatoes. Now, I like a lot of tomatoes, so I used about 2 cups of the red tomatoes and 1 cup of yellow tomatoes. Simply cut them in half and sprinkle with coarse salt and black pepper. Toss them into a skillet on low medium heat. Add in 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter and about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Stir everything together and allow the tomatoes to cook for about 5-7 minutes. During this time I like to chop some fresh basil leaves and add it in to the skillet for a little extra flavor.
After the tomatoes are cooked scoop them out of the skillet and on to a plate. Lower the heat down a little and add the tilapia to the skillet. While cooking, I add another 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter and a few more squirts of lemon juice. Allow tilipia to cook for about 5 to 7 minutes on both sides. Texture should be firm but flaky when you pull it apart with a fork.
Add the tomatoes back in to the skillet and let everything simmer together just for a few minutes. Add an extra little sprinkles of chopped basil if you prefer.
Lemon Butter Tilapia with Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 cups red grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 cup yellow grape tomatoes cut in half
- coarse salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice divided
- fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 pound fresh Tilpia fillets
- Set a large skillet to medium heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray and allow to warm up. Rinse and cut grapes tomatoes in half, sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper to taste. Chop to two or three large basil leaves.
- Add tomatoes into the skillet along with 1 tablespoon of butter and about a tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir together and add in chopped basil. Allow tomatoes to cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once tomatoes have cooked, scoop them out of the skillet and on to a plate. Set aside. Turn the heat down just a little bit, putting it at low-medium. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the tilapia fillets and add them to the skillet. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Allow tilpia to cook evenly, about 5-7 minutes on both sides. Once tilapia is finished return the tomatoes to the skillet and set heat to simmer for a few minutes. If desired, add a few more chopped basil leaves to the skillet.
- Tilapia and tomatoes are ready to serve!