In my forever search of scrumptious eats I stumbled upon this beautiful, lemony-y crumb cake. This is not your ordinary crumb cake, not that we consider crumb cakes ordinary around here but this cake is too good not to share. This Lemon Crumb Cake is made up of layers of delicious cake and cream cheese filling with a subtle lemon flavor throughout. The crumb topping and vanilla glaze add a little extra crunch and sweetness that pulls the recipe together.
dessert for breakfast
Like I mentioned before, this Lemon Crumb Cake has a soft vanilla cake layer base, a yummy cream cheese layer and the most delectable crumb topping. And if that wasn't enough, you drizzle it with the sweetest (and easiest!) lemon glaze. This is not only a great recipe for spring and summer but for brunches, meetings, parties, special occasions like baby showers, book clubs, or for having dessert for breakfast.
layers of lemon crumb cake
This particular crumb cake have 4 different parts to it: the cake, the cream cheese filling, the crumb topping and the vanilla glaze. Since this is a lemon crumb cake you want subtle hints of lemon flavor throughout the whole recipe. Lemon juice or extract is present in the cake, the cream cheese filling and the glaze. Let's get into the details of these delicious layers.
- the cake:The cake layer for this recipe is a delicious vanilla cake. Instead of going the traditional route of making cake batter, you'll be adding all the dry ingredients together and then adding the butter into those. This will give you a more crumbly mixture until you add in the eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and milk. Once everything is combined and well mixture you have a delicious, smooth cake batter.
- the cream cheese filling: There's nothing complicated about the cream cheese filling. However, having the cream cheese softened to room temperature is an important step. This helps with being about to mix everything together evenly. Room temperature cream cheese is way easier to mix and work with that cold, firm cream cheese.
- the crumb topping: The crumb topping is probably my favorite part of this recipe. Crumb topping is an easy way to add extra flavor and texture to many recipes. This one involves light brown sugar, granulated sugar, a little salt, butter and flour. This recipe makes a generous portion of crumb topping bit I think you'll love it, it really adds a lot of texture to the whole dessert.
- the vanilla glaze: Last but not least, the vanilla glaze. The glaze is sweet but has a distinct lemon flavor that adds that last bit of citrus-y flavor to the cake. And it comes together very quickly and easily.
For the Cake:
- 1 and ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup milk
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese (softened)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- zest of 1 lemon
For the Crumb Topping:
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 and ½ cup all-purpose flour
For the Glaze:
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 inch spring form pan with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Make the cake layer first: In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Give the dry ingredients a quick stir to mix them together. Using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add in the butter and beat the ingredients together until crumbly. Reduce the speed to low and add in the eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and milk. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Beat the batter on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour the batter into the spring form pan. Set aside.
- Make the cream cheese layer: In a separate mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, sugar, egg and lemon zest. Beat the ingredients using an electric mixer for 4 to 5 minutes on medium speed, mixture should be smooth. Spoon the cream cheese mixture onto the cake layer, making sure that it doesn't touch the sides of the pan.
- Make the crumb topping: In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, sugar, flour and salt. Give the ingredients a quick whisk to mix them together. Pour the melted butter over the dry ingredients and use a fork to mix everything together until crumbs form. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 40 to 42 minutes. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl combine lemon juice, powdered sugar and milk. Mix the ingredients together until the glaze is smooth.
- Release the latch of the side of the spring form pan and lift it up from the pan. Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Cut into slices and serve.