If you make anything from scratch, let it be these Marshmallow Crispy Treats. O.M.G. are they freaking delicious. And sticky. And addicting. If it weren't for my husband's amazing coworkers to send these off too I would have easily have face planted in the entire pan and came out sugar high and delirious.
So why call them Marshmallow Crispy Treats instead of the common Rice Krispie Treats? Because in this recipe we emphasize on marshmallows and they're amazing super powers. One thing I DID NOT want my marshmallow treats to be is dry and hard ?. It would be too much like the store bought kind. You know the kind of hard where you bite into something and instead of it easily falling apart you find yourself gnawing at it trying to get a bite? Yeah that kind of hard... I did not want that with these. Instead, I was going for ooey gooey, super sticky, and super marshmallow-y sweet. Yes they are firm enough that they will hold themselves together but you can comfortably bit in and enjoy.
So back to the marshmallows. I use 2 (yes, 2 ) bags of mini marshmallows in this recipe. It seems excessive, yes, but it's worth it for the perfect Marshmallow Crispy Treat. You'll use 1 and ½ of the bags to make the melted marshmallows and then once you've added the rice cereal and have that mixed together, you'll add in the remaining half of a bag that you didn't use. That way, you get melted marshmallow and mini marshmallows in every bite.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 bags mini marshmallows yes, 2 bags, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
- ½ cup sprinkles
- Spray a 8x8 inch square baking pan with non stick spray. Set aside
- Put a large pot or sauce pan over low-medium heat on the stove. Add in the butter and let it melt completely. Add in 1 and ½ bags of mini marshmallows. Using a spatula or a large spoon, stir the marshmallows around constantly so they begin to melt. Add in the vanilla extract and continue stirring so that the marshmallow melt completely and have a smooth texture. Once the marshmallow are completely melted and smooth add in the cereal and fold it together. Be patient with this step because the melted marshmallow are VERY STICKY and once you add the cereal it may seem tough to work with but it will come together. Once the cereal is evenly coated with marshmallow, add in the remaining mini marshmallows and sprinkles. Fold everything together and then transfer everything to the baking pan. Again, while the marshmallow crispies are still warm and sticky it will be a little hard to work with so just be patient with it and take your time. Do your best to smooth it into an even layer in the baking pan. You can leave them out at room teperature to "set" or cover them with plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator. Marshmallow Crispy Treats are set within a few hours and are ready to cut and serve.
- If you sprayed the bottom of your pan you should be able to just turn it over and the whole block should just easily come out altogether so you can cut into squares.