This no bake peanut butter pie is a recipe in a league all it's own. This is type of dessert that keeps you coming back for more, is so simple and enjoyable to make, and just tastes like pure peanut butter comfort. Pair this delicious and creamy peanut butter pie filling with a oreo cookie crust and you have a match made in heaven. Peanut butter, oreo's, cream cheese, cool whip, no crazy baking technique; you can't go wrong with peanut butter pie.
How to assemble an Oreo cookie crust
While peanut butter is the star of the show here, the Oreo cookie crust is the best supporting character. Peanut butter and Oreo's just go so great together. Making this cookie crust is easy peasy. You need two ingredients: oreo's and butter. For best results with this crust, you'll want to crush the oreo cookies until they're fine crumbs. You can do this with a food processor or go the zip lock bag and rolling pin route. Either way, you want to turn the cookies into crumbs. Pour the cookie crumbs into a big bowl and pour the melted butter right over the crumbs. Stir the crumbs around until they are evenly coated with butter. Pour the cookie crumb mixture into a 9 inch pie dish and use the the back of a spoon to firmly pack the crumbs to form a crust. That's it. Place the pie dish in the refrigerator (or freezer) to set while you make the peanut butter filling!
How to make peanut butter pie filling from scratch
Just like the cookie crust, the pie filling for the recipe is super easy. You'll need creamy peanut butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, a little vanilla extract and some cool whip. While this recipe doesn't call for any complicated baking techniques, it's important that the cream cheese has been softened and the cool whip has been thawed a little bit. Before you want to assemble the pie, I recommend putting the cream cheese on the kitchen counter for about 30 minutes before starting. Same goes for the cool whip, except you'll want to move to cool whip to the refrigerator to thaw slightly, do not leave it on the counter to come to room temperature. Having the cream cheese softened and cool whip slightly thawed will help these ingredients mix together evenly when you make the pie filling with a super creamy, smooth texture.
Once you have the ingredients ready it's time to make the filling. A stand mixer is helpful with this part of the recipe but a large mixing bowl and handheld electric mixer will work too. First, you'll want to beat the peanut butter on medium-high speed for 1 to 2 minutes. Then you'll add in the cream cheese and allow those two ingredients to mix together for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is getting evenly mixed together. Next you'll want o add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. The last step is to add in the cool whip. You can do this all at once( you'll just want to adjust the mixing speed to filling doesn't fly everywhere) or you can add the cool whip to the filling a little at a time. Once all the cool whip is added to the filling, continue mixing on low to medium speed until the filling is thoroughly combined, and smooth. Pour the pie filling into the pie dish, smoothing it out over the cookie crust. Cover and place in the refrigerator for a few hours to set or up to overnight.
how to serve no bake peanut butter pie
This pie is best served cold. I prefer to leave it in the refrigerator overnight to set up properly and cool to the right temperature. I like to drizzle caramel and chocolate syrup on it. I think a garnish of whipped cream would be excellent here too to cut the sweetness/richness of this pie.
No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
For the Crust
- 1 package Oreos
- 1 stick ½ cup unsalted butter (melted)
For the Peanut Butter Filling
- 1 block of regular cream cheese 8 ounces, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1 tub of cool whip 8 ounce tub
For lattice topping
- chocolate syrup
- caramel syrup
- You can either prepare this pie in a 9 inch pie dish or a 9 inch spring-form pan. If using a pie dish spray the bottom of the dish lightly with some cooking spray and set aside. If using a 9 inch spring-form pan, you can either spray the bottom of the pan with cooking spray or you can cut a circle cut out of parchment paper and line the bottom on the spring-form pan with that so when it's time to serve you can easily transfer the whole pie to a serving plate.
- To make the crust, pulse cookies (use the entire package) in a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs. Place the cookie crumbs in a medium sized bowl and melt the butter in the microwave. Pour melted butter over the cookie crumbs and mix together until all the crumbs are evenly coated and moist. Pour crumbs into the bottom of the pie dish of spring-form pan and press them down with the back of a spoon forming a crust. Make sure the crust is even, smooth and packed tightly. Set aside
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese and powdered sugar and mix with an electric mixer on low speed for about a minute and then work your way up to medium speed. Add in the vanilla extract and peanut butter. Continue mixing. You may have to stop and scrap down the sides of the bowl. Slowly add in the cool whip and continue mixing until everything is thoroughly combined. Mixture will be fluffy, thick and resemble a pale peanut butter color.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into the pie dish and smooth it out over the pie crust. Chill pie for at least one hour before serving.
- When ready to serve garnish the top of the pie with chocolate and caramel syrup. To recreate the lattice design simply drizzle horizontal lines across the pie, alternating chocolate and caramel; and then repeat the same step but in a vertical directions.
- *it only takes 15 minutes to make this pie but chilling it before serving is a must. At least 1 hour of chilling in the refrigerator is recommended. The prep time on this recipe card reflects the time it takes to assemble the pie as well as chill time. You can chill the pie longer than 1 hour if you wish.