Easy Peanut Butter Oreo Truffles made with double stuffed Oreos and a creamy peanut butter-cream cheese filling. These taste just like regular Oreo truffles but with the delicious twist of peanut butter flavor. Because peanut butter + double stuff Oreos = Oreo truffle greatness!
How easy, addicting, and amazing are Oreo truffles? Seriously, Oreo truffles are one of those thing that are easy to make, everyone loves them (if you don't then I don't know about you) and you can decorate them to fit any occasion. Win-win-win! If you couldn't guess, I think Oreo truffles are the bomb diggity. I made some and posted them a while back, you can see them → here.
Today's version is just as splendid as the originals but has a little extra something to it. Peanut butter. Yes, ladies & gents peanut butter and Oreos are just as well paired as peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and chocolate, Oreos and milk...
Let's get off topic for just a second. Have you seen this peanut butter pie? It has a thick Oreo cookie crust and a delicious, rich peanut butter pie filling. The combination will knock your socks off. It was this peanut butter filling and Oreo crust that inspired me to incorporate peanut butter into regular Oreo truffles. The result - just as awesome as I thought it would be 🙂 The recipe is just as easy too. You still need 1 package of Oreos (I recommend double stuff for this version), 1 (8 ounce) block of cream cheese and baker's chocolate for dipping. This time around you'll be adding peanut butter, powdered sugar and a little vanilla extract to the cream cheese.
Assembly is pretty much the same too. Pulse all the Oreos in a food processor until fine crumbs and pour them into a large bowl. In a separate bowl you'll combine the cream cheese, peanut butter and powdered sugar and mix together with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined and smooth. Add in a few teaspoons of vanilla extract and mix a little more. Your peanut butter filling is done. Plop the peanut butter filling on top of the Oreo crumbs and use your hands (I think it's the quickest way) to mash the crumbs and peanut butter mixtures together. Yes it's messy but it's the quickest way. You can also use a spoon or your mixer but I really do like using your hands best.
As usual, roll them into little balls, about 1 or 1.5 tablespoons in size and freeze them for about 30 minutes. When your ready to dip them in chocolate simply melt the chocolate in a heat safe bowl and dip away. Garnish your truffles with more chocolate, sprinkles, Oreo crumbs, whatever!
Peanut Butter Oreo Truffles
- 1 package double stuffed Oreos
- 1 - 8 ounce block of cream cheese
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips or baker's chocolate
- Pulse entire package of Oreo cookies in a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs. Pour cookie crumbs into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine cream cheese, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. Using an electric mixer cream ingredients together until thoroughly combined and smooth. Add in vanilla extract and continue mixing for about 1 more minute. Scoop peanut butter mixture into the bowl of cookie crumbs. Use your hands (or a mixer, or a large spoon) and mash the cookie crumbs together with the peanut butter/cream cheese mixture. Stop once everything is thoroughly combined (it should resemble a big Oreo crumb ball). Roll into balls that are about 1 tablespoon to 1.5 tablespoon in size. Place on a baking sheet or plate lined with parchment paper and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Before taking Oreo balls out of the freezer, melt your chocolate for dipping. Melt chocolate by either using a double broiler method or placing the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, heating it for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between heat sessions and repeating until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Take Oreo balls out of the freezer. Dip into chocolate and use a fork to remove ball from chocolate and allow excess chocolate to drip off. Place back on to plate or baking sheet. Sprinkle/ garnish with sprinkles, cookie crumbs or more chocolate. Place truffles back into the fridge to set for about 10-15 minutes. Truffles are ready to serve, store any leftovers in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.