As a foodie with a serious sweet tooth, the holidays are a glorious time for me. The food is extra delicious, calories don’t count, and there’s sweets galore! As much as I love the cookies, candy and pie, I absolutely CAN NOT help myself around these Peppermint Oreo Truffles. Little chocolate covered truffles full of oreo cookie crumbs binded with cream cheese and a hint of peppermint flavor. Garnished with crushed peppermint and festive sprinkles. You can’t just stop at one and I hope you won’t. Remember, calories don’t count around the holidays. 😉
peppermint oreo truffle 101
One of the things that I love about this recipe is how easy it is! You just need 4 ingredients, not counting what you use to garnish them with. You’ll need Oreo’s, cream cheese, peppermint extract and chocolate of your choice. That’s it. Seriously, it doesn’t getting any easier or more delicious than that.
Oreo’s: For this recipe I just go for standard Oreo’s. You can use double stuffed here too but you don’t need too. Since these are peppermint oreo truffles I wouldn;t recommend any other flavor like golden, mint, peanut butter, etc becasue the extract will clash. We’re going basic and sticking to the classic.
Cream Cheese: You can use any brand of cream cheese you like. The best tip I have for you here is to let the cream cheese come to room temperature before you make the truffles. It’ll be easier to work with and the cookie crumbs will bind together better. I usually leave the cream cheese out on the counter for about 30 to 45 minutes before I start making these.
Peppermint Extract: You only need a few teaspoons but it’s a game changer! Not only is peppermint a festive holiday flavor but it really compliments the chocolate well. You can find peppermint extract at most grocery stores.
Chocolate: Now when it comes to chocolate it’s dealer’s choice. I usually do 2 types of chocolate: white and semi sweet. I’ve also used dark chocolate with these as well and it’s phenomenal. You can use baker’s chocolate, chocolate chips or even almond bark.
Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- 1 standard package of Oreos
- 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate baker's chocolate, baking wafers, or chocolate chips
- 8 oz white chocolate baker's chocolate, baking wafers or morsels
- optional: sprinkles & soft peppermint candies for garnish
- Leave cream cheese out on the counter for at least 30 minutes before you start to make the truffles so it can come to room temperature.
- In a food processor pulse cookies until they become fine crumbs. Pour cookie crumbs into a large bowl and add in the block of cream cheese. Use your hands to combine the cream cheese and cookie crumbs together, add in peppermint extract and continue to work cookie crumbs and cream cheese until thoroughly combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
- When your ready to scoop and coat the truffles you can melt your chocolate. In a microwave safe bowl heat chocolate in 20 second intervals, stirring the chocolate thoroughly in between each heating. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted & smooth.
- Using a tablespoon or small cookie dough scoop, scoop out small balls and dip into the melted chocolate using a fork. All excess chocolate to drip off the truffles. Place on plate or baking sheet to allow chocolate to set, garnish with sprinkles or crushed peppermint before chocolate drys completely. You may want to stick them in the fridge to firm up before serving.