It's easy to over look the simple things. Sometimes all you need for a great dessert is just a few, quality ingredients. It doesn't always have to be over-the-top, labor intensive or crazy expensive. That's what these Roasted Strawberry Sundaes with Candied Walnuts are all about. Simple ingredients, quick & easy preparation to make them indulgent, and impressive - without the impossible effort.
These sundaes are more about the accessories than the actual ice cream. I really wanted the roasted strawberries and candied walnuts to shine bright so I opted for basic vanilla ice cream. Vanilla bean ice cream to be exact, which I personally love and really don't consider it basic but you catch my drift.
Roasting the Strawberries:
Have you ever tried roasted strawberries? If you haven't than you are most definitely missing out. Roasting strawberries breaks them down into the ultra juicy, flavorful pieces that will make any recipe extra special. And the bonus, roasting them takes very little effort and not a lot of time. You simple rinse and cut your strawberries into smaller pieces and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle them with some sugar and vanilla extract, or if you like to get a little boujee you could use vanilla bean paste here too. Toss the strawberries in the sugar and vanilla and let them sit for about 10 minutes. Then, spread them out onto a baking sheet and pop them in the oven and let them do their thing!
This is another super easy and delicious way to add a little extra something to a very simple ingredients. And candied walnuts aren't just for dessert, they're delicious in salads, add them to a charcuterie board or even incorporate them into a main entree. You don't even need the oven for this one! Just melt the butter and sugar together in a skillet over medium heat and then add your walnuts. Toss the ingredients together so the walnuts are completely covered and then lay them on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes to dry.
Make ahead instructions:
If your planning on serving this for a special occasion or for company and don't want the extra prep time you can easily make both the roasted strawberries and candied walnuts the day before. Just make them according to the instructions and then store them, separately, in air tight containers. Candied walnuts can be stored at room temperature but the roasted strawberries need to be kept in the refrigerator. When your ready to make the sundaes you can just re heat the strawberries in the microwave for between 15 and 30 seconds to have them warm or you can enjoy them chilled. That way when your ready to serve them all you have to do is assemble them without the extra work!
Roasted Strawberry Sundaes with Candied Walnuts
For the strawberries:
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries rinsed and cut into smaller pieces
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
For the walnuts:
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons butter can use salted or unsalted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Vanilla bean ice cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Rinse and cut the strawberries into smaller pieces. Place them in a bowl and sprinkle sugar over the top of the strawberries and add the vanilla extract. Toss the strawberries to evenly coat them. Let the strawberries set for 10 minutes. Spread strawberries onto the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow them to cool.
- While the strawberries are in the oven, line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Heat a large skillet over low-medium heat. Add in the butter and let it melt completely. Add the sugar to the melted butter and mix the two ingredients together to combine. Add in the walnuts, tossing them in them butter/sugar mixture until evenly coated. Allow the walnuts to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, tossing consistently so they don't stick to the pan. Remove from the heat and lay them out on the baking sheet to cool and dry, for about 10 minutes.
- Once the strawberries and walnuts have cooled, you can assemble your sundaes. Scoop out ice cream into bowls and layer the strawberries and walnuts to your preference.