I know I say this a lot but these Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are one of the best cookie bars I've ever had. Talk about can't stop, won't stop, can't-put-the-damn-cookie-bar-down so good! They are ooey, gooey, sweet & salty, chocolate chip cookie goodness.
I'm a sucker for anything chocolate chip cookie based. I love the combination of brown-sugary, buttery and chocolate flavors together. It's delicious and it's timeless. Throw in some salted caramel and I practically die. It's dare I say, too good. Being currently obsessed with good quality flaky sea salt and using it on everything at the moment, this recipe comes just in time because you can't not make these and not sprinkle flaky sea salt on top of them. It's a must. Promise me you'll use flaky sea salt on top of these.
This recipe originates from the Cookies & Cups Cookbook. There's a lot of fantastic recipes all thoroughout the book. Other recipes from the cookbook I'm crushing on are:
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Honey and Brown Sugar Baked Oatmeal
- Salty Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (the cover recipe!)
- Peanut Butter Cup Filled Brownie Cookie Sandwiches
- Confetti Cake
- Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
- Perfect Stovetop Mac and Cheese
The book is FILLED with unbelievable recipes!
The cookie dough is pretty straight forward but the easy caramel filling is even more reason to make these! You just combined soft caramel candies and sweetened condensed milk together in a saucepan and BAM! Magical and surprising easily caramel. You'll want to put this stuff on everything.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies Bars
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 and ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt fine, not coarse
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 10 ounce bag soft caramel candies (unwrapped)
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and generously spray with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine butter and both sugars and mix for 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed using an electric mixer. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract, continue mixing until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Slowly add in the flour, salt & baking soda. Mix on low speed until cookie dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips. Press half of the cookie dough into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Make the caramel filling: in a medium sauce pan set to medium-low heat, combine all the caramel candies and sweetened condensed milk. Stir the mixture together until all the caramel candies have melted and the filling is smooth and combined. Immediately pour over the chocolate chip cookie dough layer.
- Drop the remaining cookie dough on top of the caramel layer. If some of the caramel is peeking through that's okay.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, just until the center is set. Bars may seem underbaked but they will set and firm up slightly as they cool. Sprinkle the top of the bars with sea salt and allow to cool for about 30 minutes before cutting into squares.