I took the leap this week and put potato chips in my cookies, and oh how delicious this combination is! These Salty Snack Cookies are my take on that delicious and addicting sweet & salty combination that foodies love. These cookies have chocolate chips, butterscotch chips AND potato chips. Yes, that’s right – potato chips. Don’t just take my word for it, bake these up for yourself and taste how unbelievably good they are.
Let’s talk sweet & salty
I’m sure some of you are thinking I’m nuts – chips in my cookies?! And I know there’s others who get exactly where I’m coming from. Have you ever had a chocolate covered potato chip? It sounds off putting at first but it’s actually freaking awesome. It’s that sweet and salty combo that is very pleasing to the palate.
Now I will say this, you don’t get massive chunks of potato chips in these. Potato chips are so fragile that they break down instantly as soon as you beat them into the cookie dough. What you DO get: is little salty bits of crisp potato chips in every bite, talk about yum! The saltiness of the potato chips compliments the sweetness and richness of the chocolate and butterscotch chips.
Now as far as what type of chips to use, I recommend any brand of kettle cooked original flavor. I’m usually all about experimented with different flavors and whatnot but here I think it’s better to play it safe a go with a good salty, original flavored potato chip. I’m not sure how good a sour cream & onion, bbq flavor or salt & vinegar would be here ?. I recommend kettle cooked style because they seem to be a little sturdier then regular potato chips (so you get those little bits in the dough) but that’s just a recommendation, use whatever brand or type of chip you like.
- 1 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter (softened to room temp)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 and 1/2 cups original flavored potato chips
- Combine your dry ingredients (both flours, baking soda & salt) in a mixing bowl. Give the ingredients a quick stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl combine the butter and both sugars and beat on medium speed using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer for 1 to 2 minutes, until the butter and sugars are combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and continue mixing on medium speed to combine. Stop the mixer and add in the dry ingredients, with the mixer on low speed mix everything together just until the cookie dough forms. Dough will be thick and sticky. Add in the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and potato chips, mix on low speed just so everything is distributed throughout the cookie dough. The potato chips will break down almost completely so you just have little specks and pieces of potato chip throughout the dough. Use a cookie scoop to scoop out cookie dough balls and place them on a small baking sheet. Cover the cookie dough balls with plastic wrap and set the baking sheet in the refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 2 hours but preferably over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place cookie dough balls on baking sheet, giving them about 2 inches of room between each cookie. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes before transferring them to cool completely. Cookies are best when fresh but stay soft and chewy when stored in an airtight container.