Layers and layers of amazingness await you with these delicious and classic Seven Layer Bars.
Chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, sweetened coconut flakes, chopped pecans all on top of an irresistible buttery, mini chocolate chip graham cracker crust, ohh yeah these bars have everything!
These bars are one of the e-a-s-i-e-s-t things to make. I love making these bars because they're one of my sister's favorites. We use to make them together all the time as kids so it's always fun to pull this recipe out every once and while. After you assemble the chocolate chip-graham cracker crust you are pretty much just layering all the other sweet ingredients.
Let's talk about the crust for a second. This crust is made up of 3 things; melted butter, mini chocolate chips & graham crackers. Pure crust heaven. The combination of the butter, chocolate chips and graham crackers is amazing. I highly recommend using this combination for any kind of dessert that calls for graham cracker crust, especially cheesecake. Anyway, the crust is the most work in the recipe. Simply melt the butter, pulse the graham crackers in a food processor until they look like fine crumbs and mix them together in a bowl. Toss in the mini chocolate chips and stir them together and you've got one heck of a simple but delicious graham cracker crust.
Oh before we move on, I highly HIGHLY recommend lining your backing sheet with parchment paper when making these bars. Lining your baking sheet with parchment paper makes transferring these bars from the baking pan so much easier. After you let them cool for at least 30 minutes, you can just lift up the side of the parchment paper and the whole just lifts up for easy transfer and helps to cut the bars into more even squares.
Now for the layers. After you've laid your crust in the baking dish, just start layering! Sprinkles the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and sweetened coconut flakes all over the crust. Pour a 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk all over so that it covers the entire pan. I like to sprinkle some more chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and cocnut flakes over the sweetened condensed milk layer. Also, the top layer is where you'll add the chopped pecans. Just looks at how all those ingredients pop!
Seven Layer Bars
- 1 and ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- ¾ cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt butter in microwave and pulse graham crackers in a food processor until the look like fine crumbs. Combine butter and graham cracker crumbs in a bowl and mix together until the graham cracker crumbs are evenly covered with the butter and moist. Toss in mini chocolate chips and stir together. Pour graham cracker mixture into baking dish and pack it and even smooth it out the form a crust.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and coconut flakes over graham cracker crust. Pour can of sweetened condensed milk all over the chocolate chip-butterscotch-coconut layer until completely covered. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and coconut flakes over sweetened condensed milk. Add chopped pecans to top layer.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, about 30-45 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.