Seven Layer Brownies take your basic brownies up about 1000 notches. Like Seven Layer Bars, you've got your sweetened coconut flakes, butterscotch morsels, chocolate chips, crunchy pecans - all drizzled with sweetened condensed milk. But, instead of that typical buttery graham cracker crust, we've swapped it out for a thick, ultra fudgy brownie. Too. Freaking. Good.
My sister and I use to make these a lot growing up so they hold a sweet spot with me. Seven layer bars are a classic but having them with a brownie as the bottom just sends them over the top. I like to make the brownies from scratch using a very easy basic brownie recipe but if you're in a pinch and just want to use a brownie mix you can easily do that too. For Seven Layer Brownie success you just bake the brownies first and then add the toppings about 10 minutes before the brownies should be done. No tricks, nothing complicated, you're just waiting for the brownies to be firm enough so they can hold all the yummy toppings but still need some time to bake thoroughly and so your seven layer topping can bake & set too.
Seven Layer Brownies
For the Brownie Layer
- ½ cup 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- 8 ounces Semi Sweet Baker's Chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder sifted/whisked
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- butterscotch morsels
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 can 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and leave enough over hang so you can lift the brownies out of the pan once they've cooled.
- In a large microwave safe bowl combine butter and baker's chocolate and heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each heating. Repeat until chocolate & butter is completely melted, smooth & combined.
- Place bowl of chocolate in the refrigerator for 5 minutes just to cool it slightly.
- Add sugar into chocolate, mixing thoroughly and then add in eggs & vanilla extract, continue mixing until thoroughly combine - batter may be slightly grainy.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder & salt and mix thoroughly until brownie batter is formed, batter will be very thick!
- Pour brownie batter into baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove brownies from the oven and cover the surface (careful - baking dish will be very hot) of the brownies with shredded coconut flakes, then butterscotch morsels and chocolate chips. Sprinkle chopped pecans over everything and then pour the whole can of sweetened condensed milk over the entire surface.
- Place brownies back into the oven and bake for 10 to 15 more minutes. Remove from oven and allow brownies to cool completely (about an hour or so) before you lift them up from the pan and cut into squares.